In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Apollo is voluntarily recalling the Phantom V1, V2, and 60V electric scooters sold from June 2021 to May 2023 in the US because the bolt on the electric scooter can come loose causing the suspension and wheel assembly to separate, posing fall and injury hazards.
Apollo believes that this issue can be addressed by replacing the subject bolt (A2-70 Stainless Steel Bolt) with the stronger Grade 12.9 Steel Bolt that is used in the current design of the Phantom model. Apollo will begin sending replacement bolts to all customers who have purchased units assembled with the subject bolt, along with instructions on how to identify the issue, replace the bolt, and how to ensure that the bolt is sufficiently secure as part of routine general maintenance. Apollo will also make its servicing locations and partner locations available to any customers to have the bolt replaced or tightened free of charge.
Do I have an A2-70 Stainless Steel Bolt?
Most Phantom V1, Phantom V2, or Phantom 60V models were assembled with the A2-70 Stainless Steel Bolt. You can confirm whether your scooter has the A2-70 Stainless Steel bolt in one of two ways:
• The A2-70 Stainless Steel Bolt has "A2-70" imprinted on the bolt head.
• Scooters containing the A2-70 bolt have a serial number with a date code preceding 2208. Reference this article to find out how to identify date codes in the serial number.
What should you do?
A new bolt has been shipped to you along with installation instructions. We strongly recommend you service the stem bolt on your Phantom by either replacing the bolt you have with a Grade 12.9 Bolt or tightening your current Grade 12.9 Bolt to 40-50 Nm with a torque wrench.
If your scooter has the A2-70 Stainless Steel Bolt:
1. Do not ride your scooter until you have replaced your stem bolt with the Grade 12.9 Steel Bolt. Note that Apollo is sending Grade 12.9 Bolts to all customers. The bolt will be sent to the original invoice shipping address (if your address has changed, please message email@example.com or order a replacement using your updated address here).
2. Replace your current stem bolt yourself by watching this step by step video guide, or by booking an appointment at one of our service centres here (all replacement will be free of charge covered by Apollo). Follow the bolt tightening and bolt replacement instructions to ensure proper reassembly of the bolt.
3. Once replaced, perform preventative maintenance of the bolt every 500 km, tightening the bolt to 40-50 Nm with the torque wrench.
If your scooter has the 12.9 Grade Steel Bolt:
1. Perform preventative maintenance every 500 km to ensure that your bolt is secure at all times. Use a torque wrench to tighten with the correct force (40-50 Nm). If you do not have a torque wrench, we highly recommend purchasing one or asking a local bike shop or garage to help with tightening the bolt.
HOW TO PERFORM THE REPLACEMENT
If you have not received your free replacement bolt, please contact our Customer Support team on our toll-free number at 1-833-693-3468 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday or online at https://apolloscooters.co/pages/contact-us. Alternatively you can place a replacement order here.
Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQs")
Why is Apollo Scooters conducting this recall?
We are conducting this recall because the bolt on the electric scooter can come loose causing the suspension and wheel assembly to separate, posing fall and injury hazards.
How can I tell if my phantom is affected by the recall?
Look on the label on the bottom of the product and check if the serial number has a date code preceding 2208. The serial number has eight numbers at the end. The date code will be the first four numbers in the eight number sequence as illustrated by the red circle below.
How can I take advantage of this recall?
We are proactively shipping a replacement bolt and instructions and a link to a video demonstrating how to perform the replacement to all customers. If your address has changed, contact our support team and we will send you a replacement bolt to your current address.
What is the problem with my phantom?
The stem bolt used to secure the front wheel and suspension assembly to the stem of the scooter can become loose over time and break.
My Phantom appears to be operating okay. Can i continue to use it?
No. Even though your Phantom appears to be safe, we are asking all customers to immediately stop using the product until the original bolt has been replaced.
How long will it take for me to receive the replacement bolt?
Please allow 6-8 days from the date you contacted us. We apologize for any inconvenience and assure you that we are expediting your order.
Can I repair the product myself?
Yes. You may replace the bolt on you own following the instructions in our replacement video.
What if I'm not comfortable fixing it myself?
Apollo will make its servicing and partner locations available to any customers to have the bolt replaced or tightened free of charge.
I've already received a replacement bolt. Do I need to replace the bolt again?
If you've already received a bolt and have performed the replacement, you do not need to replace the bolt again. We recommend tightening this bolt every 500km.